On Saturday 1 April, in partnership with the Confédération Musicale de France Hauts de France, Coups de Vents will kick off its 2023-2024 residency. Dedicated to the delicate art of orchestration, it will be led by a composer as talented as he is prolific: Anthony Girard. Among the many highlights on the programme are exciting training sessions open to composers and conductors from the region, sessions for musicians to discover new works and, of course, a whole host of concerts!
Municipal bands, wind orchestras and brass bands are to be found in (almost) every town and village in the Hauts-de-France and Pas de Calais regions. As the key players in these jewels of our cultural heritage, their conductors are often faced with variations in numbers, fluctuations in level, shortages of certain instruments, and so on
Knowing how to adapt the existing repertoire is therefore a real challenge for them and, beyond that, for the dynamism and creativity of our orchestras!
That’s why, as a prelude to its second International Orchestration Competition (scheduled for 2025), Coups de Vents has chosen to devote its 2023-2024 artist residency to the delicate art of orchestration, with the invaluable assistance of composer Anthony Girard.
On the programme for the next few months:
- Orchestration training courses for conductors and composers. Two levels will be offered:
- Advanced and preparation for the 2025 International Orchestration Competition
- Sessions for local orchestrasto discover works for wind instruments by Anthony Girard
- Public concerts, where everyone can hear and applaud the work carried out by the orchestras with Anthony Girard!
Saturday 1 April: Coups de Vents comes to you!
Presentation of the 2023-2024 residency, in the presence of Anthony Girard
- at 10.30am in the Salle Michel Bogaert, Centre Culturel Isabelle Aubret (5 rue du Parc, Calonne Ricouart), with live broadcast on the Coups de Vents YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xEHdAgfI8
- at 4pm at the Château d’Hardelot, 1 rue de la source, 62360 Condette
Access is free and open to all
Focus on Anthony Girard
Born in 1959, Anthony Girard is a composer as talented as he is prolific: in 2022, his catalogue included almost two hundred and fifty titles. He has written for numerous orchestral ensembles (symphony orchestra, chamber orchestra, wind band), while cultivating a predilection for voice and chamber music.
His compositions are published mainly by Billaudot and AGIR éditions, and have been the subject of numerous recordings. Anthony Girard has also taught orchestration and musical analysis at the CRR de Paris since 2009, and orchestration at the CNSMD de Paris since 2012. He is the author of two books on orchestration: L’orchestration de Haydn à Stravinsky (Éditions Billaudot) and Techniques d’orchestration (AGIR éditions).
You can find his entire catalogue here: https: //fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Girard[/vc_column_text]